Friday, June 22, 2018

What gets the cut

When you feel broke, what's the first thing you cut out of your normal every day?  I've got so many I can think of that you'd think I'd be saving thousands.

Back in the day when I was living alone, making good money at a great job, had a vehicle that was paid for, and periodically bored in the evenings... I spent waaaayyyy too much money.  I didn't think twice about driving 20 minutes into town to pick up something to eat for dinner.  I had no reservations about making a quick stop at a shoe store and dropping $100+ on a pair of new shoes.  And I definitely didn't have a problem with stopping at Starbucks every morning on my way to work.
Today, I have a 1 year old.  And life has completely changed.  When I feel broke, I cut something out.  And today... I'm to the point where there is nowhere else I can skimp or save money for something more important.

The thought of how much I used to spend on unnecessaries is sickening.  I would make biweekly trips to the salon to have my nails done.  That's a quick $40.  And periodically, I'd break one and need to go back at a more frequent interval.  I'd also have a standing appointment for a cut and color every 6 weeks.  On average I'd spend $140 there.  The hair and nail appointments were the first to go.  I bought supplies and practiced a lot and now do it all at home.   I broke down once and went to a new salon in a new town and was VERY disappointed.  So back home I went... if I was going to be disappointed with a job poorly done, I'd rather be mad at myself and be $100 richer.  I have only bought 1 new pair of shoes in a year.  I'm going through my 175 other pair and actually wearing some of them out.  I am a Younique presenter now... so basically all of my makeup is free.  The monthly massage appointments are no longer.  I only stop at starbucks when I have an unclaimed $5 bill in my wallet and there is NO line at the drive-thru... which in the town I live in is very uncommon.  Kannon wears a lot of hand me down clothes and I don't necessarily feel cheap about that.  I haven't bought clothes for him in ages.  The clothing he gets from our friends, and from family members as gifts is more than enough.  Going out to dinner is saved for when we are out of town and it is a must.  Very rarely do we go out to dinner in our home town.   My furniture is old hand me downs also and I have no intention of replacing any time soon.  I haven't been to a movie in ages.  I don't order a cocktail at a restaurant.  I don't even blow hundreds of dollars on flowers in the spring that I will most certainly forget to water and kill soon after they are planted.

Sometimes I miss the ability to blow money and not care because I'll "just make more"... but life sure has interesting ways of showing you the value of different things.  Diapers are valuable.  They can be expensive and you must have them.  The good diaper rash cream... the big tube of it is expensive, the equivalent of like 4 gallons of milk... also a necessity.  Now in the wonderful world of pinterest, there's a DIY recipe for just about anything you can imagine.

So what do you cut when the budget needs cut?

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 truths

Today I'll let you in on 20 truths you may or may not know about me.  Don't anybody go taking offense to anything... it's just m...