Thursday, June 9, 2016

If the shoe fits...

Write a blog, they said.  Write about what you know, they said.  It'll be easy for you to make up crap, they said.  So far, writing about my family and my fondest memories has been easy.  Finding things to write about is proving to be more difficult.  But I will not quit trying.  With that said, I'm always open to suggestions.  But in the meantime...

I shall write about what I know.  I know shoes.  I know that I love shoes.  I know what kind of shoes are beautiful, hideous, creative, and spunky.  I know that I love shoes.  Did I mention that I love shoes?  I plan my entire outfit around what pair of shoes tickles my fancy for the day.  "You have too many shoes."  I have heard far too many times.  "What on earth do you do with so many pairs?"  "You can only wear 1 pair at a time."  All of these things, they fly in one ear and right back out the other.  I will not neglect my shoe habit, for it started in the womb.  I love them all.
Birkenstocks I've had since high school





















Some days all you need is a comfy pair of shoes and a glass of wine or a good book.
I adore my fun and funky Nike sneakers.  I thoroughly enjoy my black flats, and I feel confident in any number of my pairs of pumps.  Each pair of jeans I own has it's own corresponding pair of shoes that fits perfectly just below the hem.  Each individual pair of slacks I own, also has a matching pair of loafers, heeled mules, pumps, or stilettos.  Every pair of skinny leggings has a sneaker that looks fabulous with a rolled up hem, or a pair of sandals that fit just right.  And every top or blouse has a matching slide, slingback, or flipflop that works with the color.  Even my dresses (which I don't wear often) have a variety of calf height boots that look absolutely adorable.  Blacks work with grey tones.  And brown works with earth tones.  Camel and nude go with almost everything.  And I finally splurged and bought my first pair of Tieks, which are truly worth the money.  Which seems to be a popular controversy these days. 
It must have been a hard day at work
How did I come into this terrible, sometimes pricey habit, you ask?  Well... I suppose I shall blame it on my mother.   For even when I was a wee one and she was the one in charge of my shoe purchases, I had a shoe fund.  A jar of change on her office work desk.  

Do I have favorites?  Of course.  My boots.  The brown leather cowgirl boots that go with anything.  The distressed dark brown with the beautiful, scrawling ivory colored stitching.  They can be worn below the perfect boot cut jeans, or on the outside of skinny jeans or leggings with a long sweater, or with a summer dress made of light and flowing material.  The perfect mix of tough country and dainty femininity.  Or there is always those hand stitched camel colored leather Frye pumps with the blocky grained heel.  The ones that I wear with long, ivory colored linen slacks.
Old, and New






















There is a pair of shoes that fit every occasion.  You must have a nice pair of boots that keep your feet protected from the elements.  The mud and the snow are nothing on my Danner's or Sorel's.  And don't forget the comfy stand-by Fatbaby's.  Good for keeping seed out of your socks when you're out in a field, or up on top of a seed truck.  So comfy in fact, that I've gone through 2 pairs of them.




















There's a certain bad-ass-ish-ness that one feels when they have the opportunity to clomp around in a pair of Danner boots. There's a reason they are an all-American work boot.



















There are also occasions when you must have something that slides off in an instant.  Travelling requires it's own type of shoes and, well it's always a good idea to have a huge variety of colors and levels of comfort to choose from.  I almost always take a picture of the shoes if they are in a significant place.  Airport carpet, Lombard Street (Crooked street in San Francisco). You should also document the types of vintage Nike style sneakers you wear to the Nike Headquarters campus after you've spent too much time buying said shoes at the Nike Employee Store.  Sometimes you just need a cute pair of sandals to show off your fabulous pedicure.

I know that I have an obsession.  But it's too late in life to teach this old dog new tricks.  I'll continue down my path of destruction.  I know nobody care that much... but to me, this is my hobby.  To always find just that perfect shoe that fits my foot.  I love shoes.  End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 truths

Today I'll let you in on 20 truths you may or may not know about me.  Don't anybody go taking offense to anything... it's just m...