Friday, June 3, 2016

Summers... Part II

A very dear friend of mine that I grew up with, requested that I touch on a more specific topic that was a large part of our every day lives as kids, growing up in a piece of farm equipment.  So here is my Part II to yesterday's post.



Growing up in the grass seed capital of the world the way I did, I wasn't the only teenager that had this type of summer job.  And those of us that did the same thing during the summer time had a type of understanding that other friends did not.  We had similar work ethic without other options.  At the time, most of us were in it because that was our only option for summer work.  They were either a direct descendant of the owner, or in my case, my family was very good friends with the farm's owner.

We were barely into the days of cell phones.  They were not smart phones, and they didn't do anything besides make phone calls, text messages were expensive, and if you were lucky you had snake on your phone.  It was before the days of social media.  Our biggest means of communication was through the radio.  Talking on our cell phones was highly frowned upon and incredibly expensive back then.  I think they used to charge by the minute!  There was also a thing called Roaming.  We would wait patiently all day until the "live request show" on the local country music station would come on.  Pure Country, 103.7!!  In my best radio host voice.  The MC, he'd let us teenagers rule the air waves.  Requesting song after song, night after night.

There was an understanding between all of us that you listened to that station in the evening to see who would get on air.  Friends would request favorite songs, girls would request romantic songs to try and get the point across to that special boy.  But Marie and I would request classic Bellamy Brothers, Redneck Girl often.  Because as all of you know, a redneck girl wears the name on the back of her belt.  Both Marie and I proudly wore our leather belts with our jeans displaying our names across the back. (If you don't know the lyrics and that made no sense to you, shame on you.)

Certain songs had certain meanings... and every time I heard that song, I knew that somewhere out there in some piece of farm equipment was my friend Marie singing along.  Marie and I go back a long way.  You see, we've never been the super close type of friend that always hung out or did other things outside of school all of the time.  But we did have the same babysitter when we were just wee ones, and that takes us way back.  Being a farm kid, sharing that special bond with friends holds a fairly significant place in my heart.







I'll do my best to take you back in time to our high school summer-time playlist.

Redneck Girl- Bellamy Brothers
Fishin' In the Dark- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Cadillac Ranch- Chris LeDoux
Where The Sidewalk Ends- George Straight (because everybody loves George)
Watermelon Crawl- Tracy Byrd
and anything by The Judds
... you get the idea.

Music was all we had out there.  Alone in the cab, nothing to do but talk to the radio.  I don't know about others, but my own personal game was to seek through the stations, whatever song came on through the speakers, I needed to be sure I could sing along to the lyrics.  Some will say that is the reason I'm a music freak now.  To this day, if I'm on the hunt for something good on the radio, whether I'm by myself, or with a group in my vehicle... you must, "Name that song"  or "Name that band".  I must know who sings it and all of the lyrics.  I also have that music memory, let me hear it once and next time I'll be singing along.

My mom and I take it to another level.  Randomly, I will receive a text message with a set of lyrics typically not the chorus to name the song, and extra points for naming who sings it.  If I'm driving, I'll record myself singing lyrics and have her name it.  I don't drive without music on and I think that I blame that tick on having worked in the fields for so many years.  To keep myself from getting bored or tired, I needed to SING!!!  So... there is never a quiet cab when I'm driving.  Some habits die hard.

The last struggle that I know my fellow farm gals will understand is finding a comfortable temperature.  Depending on the time of season... whether we were cutting, thrashing, or working dirt really determined how I would dress.  When I was young, my dad always advised long pants and tall boots.  Keeps the seed out.  However, sometimes my rebelling teenage attitude came billowing out and I wasn't able to stop it.  If I was stuck in a cushy, air conditioned, clean combine cab all day and I didn't have to climb up on top of trucks to settle seed down before tarping or if I didn't have to do a lot of running around the field... all I had to do was drive, I'd wear shorts.  Tank tops, tshirts, and sweatshirts.  Then Boss would get in, crank the AC while he rode a round with me and completely mess up the comfortable temperature I'd finally achieved.  As an adult, I learned that jeans and tall boots were the only way I could function.  I really couldn't handle dirt or seed being in my socks or in between my toes.  I needed clean, dry feet.  To keep myself cooled off if I had to spend much time outside, I was a tank top gal through and through. My armpits get claustrophobic I used to say.

These days, Marie and I have no need to cruise in our daddy's pickup trucks... we have our own.  Again, if you don't recognize it, shame on you!  Look up the song and get familiar.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

20 truths

Today I'll let you in on 20 truths you may or may not know about me.  Don't anybody go taking offense to anything... it's just m...