Thursday, May 19, 2016

Whoever said "Practice makes Perfect" was lying.

"Keep your head down."

"Take another practice swing."

"I said, keep your head down."

"Don't forget to bend your knees."

Oh yes, bend my knees further... I'm a ridiculously tall super freak.  It's like I'm trying to take a squat on the tee box.  Swing, smack, watch it go, looks beautiful.  SPLASH!  Into the water.

"Great hit."

How on God's beautiful green planet was THAT a good hit?  It went into the water, like the other 13 balls I've hit and lost.  Sometimes I hit the ball well.  Other times, I feel like Alice from Alice in Wonderland playing a game more like croquet with a beaked bird as a club instead of this thing we call golf with my pretty turquoise themed clubs.

Golf shorts don't fit me right.  My legs are too long.  My white Nike shoes are getting dirty I notice as I walk down the fairway.  Why, oh why do I enjoy this game when I suck so bad?  I'm frustrated more often then not.  Yet, I continue to try.

Arnold Palmer once said, "Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated."  A hit that I think will do me well in the end becomes disgustingly terrible.  And when I hit it entirely off the fairway and it looks like I won't be able to save myself from numerous strokes over par... I chip it up with ease and grace and save my bacon.

You see, this is new for me.  I began playing golf merely months before I turned 30.  We'll consider this one of those "new" things I'm trying in my 30's.  I'm fairly certain I'm getting worse.  I started with beginners luck.  Now that I try to improve, I get in my own head in an attempt to silently coach myself and stink up the place.

Can you hear the chuckling bird?  
I can. 

The struggle is real, people.  Golf is HARD!!  But I'll keep trying, because for whatever reason, it's fun to be out on the beautiful grass, spending time with people you love.  

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Such a frustrating game! Very fun blog topic! I especially love the pic! Keep at it, Alice! ��

    ReplyDelete

20 truths

Today I'll let you in on 20 truths you may or may not know about me.  Don't anybody go taking offense to anything... it's just m...